Forensics: The Anatomy of Crime - Val McDermid

This is essentially the same book as Forensics: What Bugs, Burns, Prints, DNA and More Tell Us About Crime by the same author, and one I couldn't finish because it was a disjointed, convoluted mess.  I'm happy to say that The Anatomy Of A Crime is edited to be much more readable.  I particularly enjoyed the chapter on Facial Reconstruction, I was unfamiliar with the history of it and the cases presented were compelling.

Readability aside, many of the issues I had with the first book were still there in this.  I had already read about many of the cases in other books.  Which wouldn't necessarily cause me to deduct stars from my review except the presentation of many of the cases left a little to be desired.  Elements and details in some of the stories were omitted and, more importantly, the manner in which they're presented annoyed me.  Facts were kept to the bare minimum and as a result, the cases didn't have quite as much impact as they could've and should've.

Overall, a decent book and if you haven't read books like The Poisoner's Handbook and anything by William Bass, it's enjoyable and a good place to start for anyone interested in forensics.