Classic German Baking: The Very Best Recipes for Traditional Favorites, from Pfeffernüsse to Streuselkuchen - Luisa Weiss

I love baking and my family is half German; while we still have some family recipes floating around, I was very interested in finding some traditional German baking recipes.

This well-organized book is perfect for any baker, from novices (like me) to pros. The book details the history of each recipe before laying out the easy to follow step-by-step instructions. There’s an extensive glossary of ingredients that was very helpful because I was unfamiliar with some of them (Baker’s Ammonia? Almond Paste?) and it helped me to know what to look for. I did miraculously find almond paste at a discount store (of all places), but could not find baker’s ammonia anywhere; I may have to buy that online.  All the measurements given for each recipe have both a volume amount (in grams) and the equivalent for the rest of us that never bothered to get a food scale.

Armed with my almond paste, I decided to start small with Heidesand (Sandy Almond Sugar Cookies)  See the rest of my review (and photos) on my blog, Mystereity